How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marvin,EA Your Own Question
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1672
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Marvin,EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i became head of house hold in july 2008 but but through my

Resolved Question:

i became head of house hold in july 2008 but but through my job i started in april 2008 i filed single starting in july 2008 my boyfriend and his three kids moved in with me he does not work other then handy work for cash and he gave me permission to claim him and his three kids and i wanted to know is that legal?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thanks you for using Just Answer. To qualify as head of household you must meet all of these tests:


1 You cannot be married at the end of the year.


2 You paid more than half the cost of keeping up your home


3 The home was the principal residence for more than half the year of either:

Your qualifying child (son, daughter, brother, sister, stepchild, eligible foster child or a descendant of any of them.


If your boyfriend's children lived with you for the entire year you can claim them as dependents but you cannot claim the head of household status unless you meet all the tests.

Marvin,EA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you