Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

i became head of house hold in july 2008 but but through my

Customer Question
job i started in april...
i became head of house hold in july 2008 but but through my job i started in april 2008 i filed single starting in july 2008 my boyfriend and his three kids moved in with me he does not work other then handy work for cash and he gave me permission to claim him and his three kids and i wanted to know is that legal?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
2/1/2009
Tax Professional: Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent replied 8 years ago
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent

Hello and thanks you for using Just Answer. To qualify as head of household you must meet all of these tests:

1 You cannot be married at the end of the year.

2 You paid more than half the cost of keeping up your home

3 The home was the principal residence for more than half the year of either:

Your qualifying child (son, daughter, brother, sister, stepchild, eligible foster child or a descendant of any of them.

If your boyfriend's children lived with you for the entire year you can claim them as dependents but you cannot claim the head of household status unless you meet all the tests.

Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent