Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My wife and I had a time share that we felt we didnt want

Customer Question
My wife and I had...
My wife and I had a time share that we felt we didn't want anymore. We finished paying off the mortgage, but could not sell it. We were way behind on maintenance fees, but found out that for a fee (25% of the fees owed) we could deed the property back to the seller. Can this be declared a real estate loss, and is there a way of taking advantage to this situation on our tax filing this year?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
2/1/2009
Tax Professional: MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 8 years ago
MequonCPA
MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Dear Bill -

The time share is considered to be non-investement property, basically a second residence for personal use. As such, losses are not allowed and gains are taxed at capital gains rates.

MequonCPA
MequonCPA
MequonCPA