Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

State of Ohio. How are S-Corporation shareholder distributions

taxed? It is my understanding...
State of Ohio. How are S-Corporation shareholder distributions taxed? It is my understanding that distributions in excess of shareholder basis are taxed at capital gains rate (15% for $78K-$165K tax bracket, through 2010). The shareholders are employees receiving FICA taxed salaries before the distributions. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/1/2009
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer

DearCustomer

Distributions of profits of an S-Corp are treated as dividends and taxes as regular income.

A capital gain would only be realized as dissolution of the business. Then the gain would be total distibution -(minus)- basis.

So shareholder basis is of no tax benefit until sale of the shares or dissolution of the S-Corp, correct?

DearCustomer not exactly.

The tax advantage is that you do not pay SE tax on the distributions.

For that reason, most S-corps attempt to keep the W-2 wages low and maximize distributions.

But caution is in order. The IRS requires that share holders who are officers in the company be paid on W-2 wages prevailing wages for the level of work performed and reasonable for the amount of revenues genearated by the S-corp.

Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Thank you.

DearCustomer

Thank you for your question and your comments and feedback. Good luck to you.

Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer