How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I claim depreciation, gas, repairs and maintenace on my

Resolved Question:

Can I claim depreciation, gas, repairs and maintenace on my personal vehicle which is used for business if my employer reimburses me a portion of my mileage under an accountable plan?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.

Yes, you may take a deduction for a percentage of your actual vehicle expenses such as fuel, repairs, maintenance and depreciation, or you may choose to use the more simplified method of claiming a standard mileage allowance for the miles you drove your car for business activities. However, in either case, you must then deduct the amount that was already reimbursed by your employer.

To claim these expenses you should file Form 2106. Once you figure your deductions on Form 2106, that then transfers over to Schedule A and is part of your itemized deductions. Expenses in this category of Schedule A are limited to those which exceed 2% of your adjusted gross income. So if your adjusted gross income was $50,000, the first $1,000 of these types of expenses could not be included.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.
Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you