How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex and per our divorse agrrment claim the kids evr ery other

This answer was rated:

My ex and per our divorse agrrment claim the kids evr\ery other year. I was wondering they live with me all year and I make only 18k can I claim them for the EIC only each year. I seen that it is a pull down answer on line at my tax place. wasn't sre how t worked.

Dear Greek,


Thank you for your question.


What you can claim and who claims what when the absent parent is able to claim dependents is a common question for divorced and seperated parents.


Since you are the custodial parent, your children are your qualifying children for the following benefits:


1. Filing head of household if you are not remarried.

2. Claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit.

3. Child care credits.


He can take only the exemption and the child tax credit.


Ed Johnson and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you