Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My ex and per our divorse agrrment claim the kids evr ery other

My ex and per our...
My ex and per our divorse agrrment claim the kids evr\ery other year. I was wondering they live with me all year and I make only 18k can I claim them for the EIC only each year. I seen that it is a pull down answer on line at my tax place. wasn't sre how t worked.
2/1/2009
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer

Dear Greek,

Thank you for your question.

What you can claim and who claims what when the absent parent is able to claim dependents is a common question for divorced and seperated parents.

Since you are the custodial parent, your children are your qualifying children for the following benefits:

1. Filing head of household if you are not remarried.

2. Claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit.

3. Child care credits.

He can take only the exemption and the child tax credit.

Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer