How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i work away from home and live in a fifth wheel camper during

Resolved Question:

i work away from home and live in a fifth wheel camper during the week and come home on weekends. can i take any cost or expense off of my 5th wheel camper as a second home.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.
Hello zisk,

The IRS considers your "tax home" to be the entire city or general area of where you are employed. You are not allowed to deduct expenses unless you travel away from your tax home. Travel between your tax home and your personal home is also not a deduction.

Please refer to the following IRS discussion on these rules.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.
Merlo and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you