How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I have an S corporation business. How much can

Customer Question

My husband and I have an S corporation business. How much can we deduct on our taxes for using our home as the place we do business?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.

Dear Pilgrims,


As long as you are not renting the space to the S-corp, you can take home office expenses.


Please see this publication for details.


Essentially you will be able to deduct a portion of utilities, taxes, insurance, and depreciate a percentage use of the office as part of the FMV of the home.


this is subject to a 2% floor for schedule A and income limitations.


NOTE: as s-corp owners you are required to pay yourselves a W-2 wage reasonable for the amount of business revenues and level of work as corporate officers,


Ed Johnson and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How do you figure out what the cost of the office space in the house is, and how do you figure out the depreciation percentage?
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.

Dear Pilgrims,


You do not do a cost. YOu are not renting it out to the S-corp.


What you do is start with the percentage of floor space your office is of the entire house.


Say for example your office is 10 X 12. that equals 120 square feet.


If your house is 2400 square feet, then you create a percentage of that. your office is 120/2400 ths of the total house. (happens to be 5%).


So you can take 5% of:


1. utility charges

2. rugs

3. depreciation


In a nut shell. If your home's FMV today (day you put the space to use as an office) is 500,000 you can depreciate 5% of that 500,000 to arrive at a depreciation expense. Use MACRS convention for 15 year property. The depreciable basis in my example is 25,000.


The publication to which I gave you the link provides several descriptions of other expenses you can take for your home office.


That publication also describes in detail how to do figure the percentages.