Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My wife, myself and a 3rd person are equal members of an LLC.

Customer Question
Can we pay our children...
My wife, myself and a 3rd person are equal members of an LLC. Can we pay our children (and those of the 3rd person) without paying the customary payroll taxes and filing a W-2?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
2/1/2009
Tax Professional: Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer replied 8 years ago
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer

Dear dad,

Unforunately not. The IRS takes a very hard look at hiring children as employees of pass through companies. (LLC, and S) as well as sole proprietorships.

You can pay your children but the following must be true:

1. They must be legitimately working for the company.

2. They must be paid prevailing wages

3. As employees you will be required to withhold SS and MC taxes.

Reference: http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=97748,00.html

Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer