Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

should I have taxes withheld on an annuity

Customer Question
Make about $80,000 per year...
Make about $80,000 per year. Beginning in April, at age 62, will start getting a small annuity monthly from a previous employer.

Annuity: $436 monthly. Should I have state and local taxes withheld?

If so, as a single woman with no dependents, how many allowances should I claim?

Thank you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/1/2009
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 8 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Assuming you do not itemize - you need to file W4 form - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf with your employer as single with 2 allowances and if you are paid biweekly - your paycheck should look as

Gross Pay - $3,077
Federal Withholding - $533
Social Security - $191
Medicare - $45
Washington DC - $209
Net Pay - $2,100

For annuity distribution you should file the form W4-p - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4p.pdf with the administrator of your account as single with zero allowances and your check should look as

Monthly Gross - $436
Federal Withholding - $21
Washington DC - $3
Net Pay - $412

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor