How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marvin,EA Your Own Question
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1672
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Marvin,EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I claim my 22 year old daughter as a qualified relative

Customer Question

Can I claim my 22 year old daughter as a qualified relative if she has lived with me for the majority of the year and has no income? I am her sole means of support, unfortunately.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 8 years ago.
Hello and thanks you for using Just Answer. You can claim your daughter as a qualified child if her earned income is less than $3,500, lived with you for more than half of the tax year,you provided over half of her support and she cannot be claim as a dependent by another taxpayer.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
would like addiitional responses from CPA
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 8 years ago.
Marvin,EA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I will accept your answer, but i read an IRS publication that contridicts your answer. It states that I can claim as a qualifying relative, but not a qualifying child. I question your credentials as I was looking for a CPA not just someone that did an online search. I will pay the $15 and cut my losses, but not use the sevice again.
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 8 years ago.

Do you want to claim the head of household filing status? Do you want to claim the earned income tax credit for your daughter?