Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

if i got married in the middle of the year do me and my wife

Customer Question
file by our selfs?...
if i got married in the middle of the year do me and my wife file by our selfs?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
1/22/2009
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 8 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Hello myemail,

Your filing status is determined by your status as of December 31st. If you were legally married as of December 31st, then you have the choice of filing as "married joint return" or "married filing separate returns". But neither of you would just file as single or as head of household.

Filing as married joint return generally affords you the best tax advantages.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant