How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

who can take your federal income tax refund

Customer Question

who can take your federal income tax refund?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.

Dear Lnk,


Your federal income tax refund can be attached in the following ways:


1. Federal offset program: Under the federal offset program,

  • any local, state, or federal government agency can submit your debt to them to the federal offset program to offset your refunds. likewise:
  • state social agencies to offset for child support and alimony that are in arrears
  • student loans that are part of a federal gaurantee or government direct loan program

2. The courts can offset your federal and state refunds.


3. A bankruptsy executor or trustee can require assignment of your tax refund to help satisfy the terms of the bankruptcy.