How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How to pay yourself sole proprietorship?

Resolved Question:

I am a sole proprietor. Do I "pay myself" a salary, or just settle for the year end profit/loss? If I do pay myself, where would I deduct it (which form). If my business shows a loss how would this change things?

Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

As a sole proprietor or single owner LLC, you do not pay yourself a salary. The IRS says you must take a draw to pay yourself.

This means, whether or not you take the draw you report all earnings and expenses related to the business on schedule C, and pay taxes on the net profits. Your draw is, in essence, a draw on earnings. Self Employed and sole proprietors pay taxes on their net business profits, and pay SS and MC through Self Employment Tax.

You would use the following forms:

Schedule C:

Schedule SE:

If your business shows a loss you will not pay that much tax. You may have a net operating loss to carry forward to the next year, or even to carry back to the past 2 years or first day you were in operation if less than two years.

Ed Johnson and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions