Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

how many years can u show a loss on a buisness

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
1/20/2009
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 8 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Hello jason,

If a business reports a net profit in at least 3 out of 5 years, it is presumed to be a for-profit business. If a business reports a net loss in more than 2 out of 5 years, it is presumed to be a not-for-profit hobby. At that point, the IRS will likely discontinue your deductions for a business loss unless you can prove that you truly have a profit motive using the following nine factors:

1. You carry on the activity in a businesslike manner,
2. The time and effort you put into the activity indicate you intend to make it profitable,
3. You depend on income from the activity for your livelihood,
4. Your losses are due to circumstances beyond your control (or are normal in the start-up phase of your type of business),
5. You change your methods of operation in an attempt to improve profitability,
6. You, or your advisors, have the knowledge needed to carry on the activity as a successful business,
7. You were successful in making a profit in similar activities in the past,
8. The activity makes a profit in some years, and how much profit it makes, and
9. You can expect to make a future profit from the appreciation of the assets used in the activity.

If you can prove to the IRS that at least some of these factors apply, then they may allow you to continue taking losses without applying the 3 out of 5 year rule.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant