How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i owe the state of illinois department of human services for

Customer Question

i owe the state of illinois department of human services for over payment i got the letter march of 2008 can you tell me will they take my state or federal income check
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.

Dear akira,


I can not tell you if they will take the overpayment. I can say they most likely will not, yet.


What happens is that they will make a demand for payment, and if you ignor the letter or do not follow through on an ageed payback plan, then they will refer the debt to the Federal Offset Program to offset your income tax refunds. it most likely would not happen this year. You would be notified ahead of time if it would occur.