How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RD Your Own Question
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 8784
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..
Type Your Tax Question Here...
RD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I will be taking a 401k distribution (early) in Illinois while

This answer was rated:

I will be taking a 401k distribution (early) in Illinois while an Illinois resident (lease, job, etc. in IL). Later this year, I plan on moving to California. Will both California and Illinois tax me on the 401k withdrawal, or can only the state of residence where the withdrawal takes place claim taxes? I don't want hit with a double-taxation and penalty from two states.

If you take the distribution while an IL resident you will pay tax to IL State on this distribution. Since you are going to move to CA, you will file CA part year resident state tax return and you will pay tax on the CA state income. However the manner in which the tax is calculated is based on CA tax on your total federal income and than pro-rated to the CA state income for the year.



Let me know if you have any question.


Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases. Nothing contained in this reply was intended or written to be used, can be used by any taxpayer, or may be relied upon or used by any taxpayer for the purposes of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.

RD and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you