Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

can i still carry my daughter as dependent even though she

Customer Question
goes to job corp and...
can i still carry my daughter as dependent even though she goes to job corp and go to school parttime
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
1/8/2009
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 8 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Hello ms queen,

How old is your daughter?

Does she live with you at home?

Do you provide more than half of her support?

What is your daughter's total income for the year?
she is 17 and yes she do live with me
i also give her 100% of my support
Hello ms queen,

You may claim your daughter as a dependent as long as all of the following apply:

1. She is under age 19 or under age 24 and a full time student.
2. She lived with you for more than half of the year.
3. You provided more than half of her support for the year

If your daughter also has income of her own, she may file her own tax return as well, but she would not be able to claim an exemption for herself since you would be claiming her. In Box 6a, she would show a total of zero for her exemptions. She would, however, still be allowed the standard deduction of $5,450 for a single taxpayer.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant