How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I have been seperated for over a year, we have

Resolved Question:

My husband and I have been seperated for over a year, we have 2 children ages 10 & 12... My question is can I stop him from claiming them on his taxes? They have lived with me the entire time. Can my fe'ance claim them ? He has lived with us for the past 7 months.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.

Do you and your husband have a legal separation agreement which states that he may claim the children?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No we have not got any kind of papers. I hope to file my divorce the 16 of this month
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.
<p>Hello againCustomer</p><p> </p><p>If you have no legal agreement which states otherwise, then the IRS takes the position that the custodial parent is the one who has the right to claim the children. That is, the parent with whom the child lives most of the time. So at this point, you would be the one who has the right to claim the children.</p><p> </p><p>Your fiance would need to meet several rules before he could claim the children. Since he is not the father, and since the children are not related to him in any way, then one of the rules would be that the children lived with him for the entire tax year. Since you indicated that you have only lived with him for 7 months, he would not qualify this year to claim the children.</p><p> </p><p>You do, however, have the right to claim the children on your return, and may even be eligible for some extra credits if you had any earned income at all on your own.</p><p> </p><p>If you did have some earned income, let me know the amount and I will give you an estimate of any credit you might be due.</p><p> </p><p>If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.</p><p> </p><p>Thank you.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p>
Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you