How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a bankruptcy attorney and I prepare my clients bankruptcy

This answer was rated:

I am a bankruptcy attorney and I prepare my client's bankruptcy petitions at home, but I work from my bedroom. Can I deduct any portion of my motgage?
Hello KSalmon,

In order for you to write off a portion of your home expenses as "home office expense", you must use one area of your home regularly and exclusively for your business needs.

You cannot set up a computer or desk in your den or your bedroom and then claim that room as your home office. The area you claim as use for a home office must be exclusively used for business purposes in order to claim this deduction.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.

Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you