How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

we live in california. we just paid the state $141,000 in income

Resolved Question:

we live in california. we just paid the state $141,000 in income tax. I want to retire and move to nevada while my business continues to operate in ca. It is a "s" corp so my wife and I report its profit on our tax return. I want to keep my residence in ca as a secondary residence and establish a primary residence in nev. How do I do this so I am in compliance with the law?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.
Hello rricca,

No, the time that you live in a state to establish residency does not have to be continuous.

There is no exact formula or checklist that is used in order to establish domicile in a certain state.    Domicile is actually based more on your “intent” of where you intend for your home to be.

However, if a situation were to arise where you were questioned about your residency, the state would look at a number of factors. The biggest factor is physical presence in the state. In other words, do you own or rent or otherwise maintain a regular place of residence in the state. Even though you may have a residence in another state, your domicile state should be your main place of residence, where you spend the majority of your time. Other factors considered in determining your domicile state would be such things as:

·     where your driver’s license is registered
·     where your vehicle is registered
·     where you are registered to vote
·     where you receive your mail
·     where your bank accounts are established
·     memberships with local organizations
·     local church affiliation

If you have a physical presence in the state of Nevada, then as long as you have also established some or all of the things on this list, this would be sufficient proof that you intend for Nevada to be your domicile, regardless of whether or not you maintain a second home in California.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.

Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I have an additional question which I am happy to pay a fee for. Once we establish a primary Nevada residence and my business continues to operate in Cal ,will any income my wife and I receive from it ,since it is a cal-based "S" corp, still be subject to state income tax becaue it is a Cal corp? We have 3 salaried employees inh the home office and 10 independent field agents. My wife and I were also on the payroll in 2008 but do not intend to be in 2009.