How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am a single mother for four years, my parent plan states

Resolved Question:

i am a single mother for four years, my parent plan states her father in another state may claim her this year if he is paid up on child support. he paid the reared amount to the support division, january 1. I do not know if i can claim her or if i can get earned income. She lives with me even months out of the year. I need advice
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.

Since January 1st was an official holiday, state agencies would have been closed. What was the actual date that the support division posted as receiving his past due child support payments?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
they sent him a statement on december 23 2008. He set up for payment to be taken out jan 2 2009. at which at this time there is still no record of it.
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.
Hello againCustomer

If your spousal agreement states that he may claim your daughter this year as a dependent IF he is paid up on child support, then if he was not paid up as of December 31, 2008, he would be considered delinquent on payments for the tax year of 2008. In that case, you should have the right to claim your daughter on your 2008 tax return. Also, the spousal agreement which you refer to must be signed by both you and your ex-husband in order for it to be valid and accepted by the IRS.

In the event that your ex-husband also tries to claim your daughter, the IRS will request documentation from each of you to determine who has the legal right to claim your daughter. Typically the IRS would grand that right to the custodial parent, or the parent who had custody of the child for more than half of the year. However, if there is a written legal agreement in place to determine who is granted this exemption, then that will take precendence.

In order to protect yourself in this situation, you should get a documented statement of account from the support division that shows the amount of child support that was in arrears as of December 31, 2008. In the event that both you and your ex-husband claim your daughter, you will need such a document to justify why you claimed the exemption.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.
Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you