How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my boy friend lives with me and my kids from my first marrage

Customer Question

my boy friend lives with me and my kids from my first marrage and he support my kids and i,we are not married and i was woundering if he could clam them on his taxes this year?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.



It may be possible to do so, but I need to find out some more information in order to tell you most accurately.


1. Do you work?

2. What is your adjusted gross income for the year?

3. Can you be claimed on anyone elses return?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i did work full time untill i started school in october 2008. now i only work 1 day a week. i have 4 kids and i wanted to know if he could clam 2 on his taxes this year. he dose live with me and support my kids. . $15.618 is my gross pay for the year, and no one can clam me on there taxes because i fie my own taxes
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.



He could not claim the children because the children are you qualifiying children.


If you had earned less than 3500, he could have claimed you.


But in this case you nor your children are able to be claimed by your boyfriend.


Please see the example girl friend's child in publication 501 page 9.