How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am paid from a New York office but live in Missouri and work

This answer was rated:

I am paid from a New York office but live in Missouri and work in Missouri.Do I have to have NY state taxs witheld as well>

Dear Bart,


Thank you for your question.


If you live and work in MO, then the NY Company should be withholding for MO. BUT the NY office may not have a NEXUS in MO and may not know how to deal with that. So they may end up withholding for NY.


Contact your payroll and find out how they are doing it.


if they withhold for NY you will have to file a NY non-resident return to get any refund, and then file a MO resident return. MO would give you credit for any taxes paid to NY.

Ed Johnson and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you