How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wendy Reed Your Own Question
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wendy Reed is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I moved to CA in October 2008 and must pay my own CA state

This answer was rated:

I moved to CA in October 2008 and must pay my own CA state income tax since my Pennsylvania based employer only takes our Federal income tax. Do I need to pay an estimated tax for this time period? I tried using the FTB instructions for form 540ES, but the instructions tell me to refer to my 2007 taxes, but I did not live in CA in 2007. I am confused to what I need to do to calculate how much I owe. The due day for 4th qtr 2008 estimated taxes in jan 15, 2009.



You will be filing this year as a Part-year resident of CA. You are not required to make estimated CA tax payments if you are a new resident (in 2008) and did not have a tax liability in 2008 (for tax year 07).


You may still make the estimated payment however, you will need to estimate your CA tax (by preparing a mock tax return for CA, 540NR) and pay at least 90% of the estimated tax owed.


Here are instructions for Es taxpayments:

Wendy Reed and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions