How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wendy Reed Your Own Question
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wendy Reed is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am considering a change of residency to the state of Idaho.

Resolved Question:

I am considering a change of residency to the state of Idaho. I am a retired federal government employee. Would my federal pension be subject to state taxes?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 8 years ago.

Hello there ndean 0109,


Idaho does tax most pension income, and your retirement benefits would be taxable in the same manner as they are taxable to the federal government. There are several Idaho Pension exclusions, but it depends on what type of pension yours is. Retirement annuities paid by the Federal Employees Retirement System do not qualify for exclusion, whereas certain civil service and military pensions do. See page 22 of this Idaho State Tax Instructions Booklet for more information:


Idaho income tax rate varies from 1.6 - 7.8%


For your information, I am giving you a link to a website that compares states for retirement living:

Wendy Reed and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you