Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My future relative wants to give me $100,000 as a gift. Im

Customer Question
My future relative wants to...
My future relative wants to give me $100,000 as a gift. I'm a US citizen and he is not. Do either of us have to report this transaction to the IRS?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
1/2/2009
Tax Professional: Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer replied 9 years ago
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer

DearCustomer

thank you for your question.

IRS. IRC Sec. 6039F requires that such gifts be reported on Form 3520, if it is received from overseas. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f3520.pdf (gifts of 100,000 or more)

This is a change in the law that also requires gifts from foreign individuals of as little as 10,000 dollars to be reported to the IRS on the same form.

As long as this gift was received form a foreign indivual it is supposed to be reported.

The penalty for not reporting is: (from the U.S. treasur site) such United States person shall pay (upon notice and demand by the Secretary and in the same manner as tax) an amount equal to 5 percent of the amount of such foreign gift for each month for which the failure continues (not to exceed 25 percent of such amount in the aggregate).

The reporting of the gift is for security reasons not tax purposes, realted to money laundering and homeland security.

So I only need to report the receipt of the gift for reasons you described and not pay any taxes? Thanks

That is correct. As long as you meet the reporting requirement, you pay no taxes on it.

Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer