How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RD Your Own Question
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 8784
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..
Type Your Tax Question Here...
RD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have paid my sisters mortage all year can I claim that on

Resolved Question:

I have paid my sisters mortage all year can I claim that on my taxes?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  RD replied 8 years ago.
Are you part owner of the mortgaged property?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No I sold her the house and she has never been able to make a payment. I am paying $2000 a month on her property plus my mortage.
Expert:  RD replied 8 years ago.

You cannot claim mortgage interest deduction on the property unless you own the property.


You can deduct home mortgage interest if all the following conditions are met.

  • You file Form 1040 and itemize deductions on Schedule A (Form 1040).

  • You are legally liable for the loan.

  • There is a true debtor-creditor relationship between you and the lender.

  • The mortgage is a secured debt on a qualified home in which you have an ownership interest.

Let me know if you have any question.


Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases. Nothing contained in this reply was intended or written to be used, can be used by any taxpayer, or may be relied upon or used by any taxpayer for the purposes of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.

RD and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you