How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxMomNJ Your Own Question
TaxMomNJ, Senior Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 245
Experience:  7 years experience with tax preparation company, over 500 hours of tax courses taken
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxMomNJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 21-year old daughter moved back in with me this past summer

Resolved Question:

My 21-year old daughter moved back in with me this past summer and started College full-time. I was then able to put her on my insurance, etc. Do I claim her as a dependent? Should she file herself? She made under $20,000 and I made about $50,000. If I claim her, do I report her wages?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxMomNJ replied 8 years ago.


If your daughter was a full-time student for at least 5 months and lived with you for at least half the year, AND you provided at least 50% of her support, you may claim her as a dependent.

She should also file her own taxes. If you claim her as a dependent, you will take her exemption. When she files her own taxes, she will mark on her taxes that she was claimed as a dependent. You do not have the option to report her wages. She must report her own.


Please let me know if I can assist you further.

TaxMomNJ and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you