Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

do i have to pay taxes on work comp checks

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
1/2/2009
Tax Professional: Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer replied 8 years ago
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer

Dear hofie,

Pursuant to Internal Revenue Code Sec. 104(a)(1) and IRS Reg. Sec. 1.104-1(b) if you are receiving workmans compensation under a state program mandated by state law due to a job related injury or sickness, then the benefits are tax-free.

However, If your employer is continued to pay you while you are injured or sick and is requiring you to turn over the workmans compensation amount to him, then you are only taxed on the difference between your salary and the workman's compensation amount.

Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer