How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a rental, and made an insurance claim, because of IKE.

Resolved Question:

I have a rental, and made an insurance claim, because of IKE. My question is 2 part. Do I have to pay taxes on the money from the insurance company? The repairs were less than the amount received from insurance company, so does the surplus cancel out any "other" expenses incured for the year?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.



Thank you for your question.


The excess is concidered short term capital gains and is taxed at your marginal rate. But you need to do the casualty and loss form first in order to determine exactly what that is. It may not be as much as you think.






There are special instructions for person concerning their general tax obligations for victims of IKE:,,id=186774,00.html,,id=108362,00.html



Ed Johnson and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you