Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS
9313471

Hi, I worked 1/208 until 8/2008 fulltime for an employer; I

Hi, I worked 1/208 until 8/2008 fulltime for an employer; I had a home office that I used. In August I switched fulltime jobs to another employer and although I still have and use my home office, we also have a Region office 16 miles away that is available for use. In addition to my fulltime job(s) I have a side Mary Kay business in which I use my entire downstairs and same office for skin care classes and administrative. Can you advise me on how to approach this on my taxes? Can I double dip the home office for the Mary Kay business and the fulltime job; and can I even write off the home office in the fulltime job I currently hold that has a Region office? -thank you in advance for your help.
Hello and thanks you for using Just Answer. Is your home office used exclusively for the convenience of your employer?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I use the same home office for my Mary Kay Business that I use for my Employer.
If you can perform at your home office the same work at your Region office you cannot deduct your home office expenses from your wages. The home office must be use exclusively for the convenience of your employer. You can deduct your home office expenses from your Mary Kay business if you use the area exclusively for your Mary Kay business. You will report your total income and expenses from your Mary Kay business on IRS Form Schedule C, Profit or Loss Form Business (www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sc.pdf ) and your home office expenses on Form 8829 (www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8829.pdf ).