How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an American citizen, but my son is not (yet) He lives

Customer Question

I am an American citizen, but my son is not (yet) He lives outside of the US, but u support him financially. How can i claim him as a dependant on my tax return???
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.

The IRS has several rules for determining if your child qualifies to be claimed as a dependent. One of the rules is that your child must be a US Citizen or national, or must be a resident of the US, Canada or Mexico.

If your son is not a US citizen, and if he does not reside in the US, Mexico, or Canada, you would not be able to claim him as a dependent on your return. Once your son receives citizenship status or if he actually comes to live in the US, then you would be able to claim him on your return.

I am giving you a link below to the section of the IRS web site which discusses the rules for determining a qualifying child.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.,,id=133298,00.html