Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am an American citizen, but my son is not (yet) He lives

Customer Question
outside of the US, but...
I am an American citizen, but my son is not (yet) He lives outside of the US, but u support him financially. How can i claim him as a dependant on my tax return???
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
1/1/2009
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 8 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
HelloCustomer

The IRS has several rules for determining if your child qualifies to be claimed as a dependent. One of the rules is that your child must be a US Citizen or national, or must be a resident of the US, Canada or Mexico.

If your son is not a US citizen, and if he does not reside in the US, Mexico, or Canada, you would not be able to claim him as a dependent on your return. Once your son receives citizenship status or if he actually comes to live in the US, then you would be able to claim him on your return.

I am giving you a link below to the section of the IRS web site which discusses the rules for determining a qualifying child.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=133298,00.html

Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant