Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My son works for a friend (electrician) who just incorporated.

Customer Question
He wants to know if...
My son works for a friend (electrician) who just incorporated. He wants to know if he will have less taxes taken out of his check if he remains a regular employee or if he incorporates for himself and becomes a sub-contractor?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
1/1/2009
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 9 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Hello sloner,

If your son starts working for this electrician as a sub-contractor, then no taxes at all would be taken out of his check. However, your son would still be rsponsible for taxes on the money that he earns.

As a sub-contractor, your son would be required to report all of his income to the IRS, but he would also be allowed to deduct any expenses he had in connection with his work. This might include such things as mileage between jobs, tools, use of home office, etc. Once he determined his NET income, he would then owe federal and state income taxes, plus he would owe the full share of social security and medicare taxes, since there would now not be an employer to pick up half of those taxes.

The social security and medicare taxes combined are currently 15.3%. If your son thinks he has enough expenses involved to bring his net income down to less than what is currently being reported, then this might be worthwhile for him to do. Otherwise paying the full cost of the social security and medicare tax may actually end up costing him more than just remaining a regular employee.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant