How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how early can i file my taxes..can i do it with my last pay

Customer Question

how early can i file my taxes..can i do it with my last pay stub
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.
Hello tinker,

You cannot actually file your tax return until you have your W-2 forms. Even if you receive your W-2 form early, you still cannot actually file your return until after January 1st. The IRS will begin the actual processing of returns sometime between January 12th to 14th.

If you are interested in filing early because of an expected refund, you may try using one of the larger tax firms such as H&R Block. They will generally offer you an advance on a refund you may have coming based on information from your last paycheck stub. There is a fee for their service, but it is one way of getting your refund earlier than waiting until January.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.