Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I recently paid for some real estate education in order to

Customer Question
start a real estate investment...
I recently paid for some real estate education in order to start a real estate investment business in California. I have already filed for an LLC and have it established. Can I use the money I paid for the eduaction as a tax write off? Thank you for your help!
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/3/2008
Tax Professional: Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer replied 9 years ago
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer

Dear cpane,

If you were already aqualified as a realestate agent, and needed the training for licensing, you can take the expense on your schedule A.

Else it does not qualify as educational or business expenses.

If the LLC paid for your education, then you may take it as an expense on the LLC tax return or schedule C.

I heard that you can have up to 6 months from the time your expenses were paid from when you start up your LLC to be able to use it as a write off. It seems a bit odd that if I started the LLC then took the classes, then everything would be ok, but because I took the classes first before the LLC I cant do anything? There is no grace period?

Dear Cpane,

They can be included in start up costs as training costs. BUT again, taken on schedule C, not schedule A.

Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer