How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently paid for some real estate education in order to

Resolved Question:

I recently paid for some real estate education in order to start a real estate investment business in California. I have already filed for an LLC and have it established. Can I use the money I paid for the eduaction as a tax write off? Thank you for your help!
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.

Dear cpane,


If you were already aqualified as a realestate agent, and needed the training for licensing, you can take the expense on your schedule A.


Else it does not qualify as educational or business expenses.


If the LLC paid for your education, then you may take it as an expense on the LLC tax return or schedule C.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I heard that you can have up to 6 months from the time your expenses were paid from when you start up your LLC to be able to use it as a write off. It seems a bit odd that if I started the LLC then took the classes, then everything would be ok, but because I took the classes first before the LLC I cant do anything? There is no grace period?
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.

Dear Cpane,


They can be included in start up costs as training costs. BUT again, taken on schedule C, not schedule A.



Ed Johnson and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you