Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I owe a toal of $20,000 back taxes to the IRS from employment

Customer Question
in 1995 ,1996 ,& 1997...
I owe a toal of $20,000 back taxes to the IRS from employment in 1995 ,1996 ,& 1997. If i have a home, Vehicle and land loan that has a co-signer Can the IRS seize property.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/3/2008
Tax Professional: Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer replied 9 years ago
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer

Dear Chadahill,

Thank you for your question.

The IRS may place a lien on any property that you own regardless if there is a co-signer on the loans. If you are a joint tenant or owner, that is the co-signers name is XXXXX XXXXX the titles and deeds, the IRS may place a lien on your ownership interest in the property. If you are not a tenant in the entity or a tenant in common, then they can force the sale of the property and split the money according to the ownership interest and offset your share with tax debt.

NOTE: in realestate you can only be a tenent in the entirety if you are married to the other owner.

NOTE: for tenents in common the lien remains in place until the property is sold and will survive you even in death as the property is passed to heirs.

Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer