Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am a foreign citizen (i.e. no citizenship, no green card)

Customer Question
employed by a US company...
I am a foreign citizen (i.e. no citizenship, no green card) employed by a US company. I do not live in the US and none of my work is performed in the US, but I receive my salary in a US bank account. (1) Do I have any tax liability? and (2) Do I need to file any forms with the IRS?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/3/2008
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 9 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

HelloCustomer

As a non resident alien, the only time you are required to pay taxes or file a tax return in the US is if your income is physically made within the United States. Even though you are employed and paid by a US company, since you do not live or work in the US and you are not a US citizen, then you are not liable for taxes on this money.

You also do not need to report the existence of the bank account. Even if the bank account earns interest, as a non resident alien this is non taxable income to you.

I am giving you a link below to a chart that shows the various types of income which are taxable to a non resident alien.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=96459,00.html

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant