How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a foreign citizen (i.e. no citizenship, no green card)

Resolved Question:

I am a foreign citizen (i.e. no citizenship, no green card) employed by a US company. I do not live in the US and none of my work is performed in the US, but I receive my salary in a US bank account. (1) Do I have any tax liability? and (2) Do I need to file any forms with the IRS?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.



As a non resident alien, the only time you are required to pay taxes or file a tax return in the US is if your income is physically made within the United States. Even though you are employed and paid by a US company, since you do not live or work in the US and you are not a US citizen, then you are not liable for taxes on this money.


You also do not need to report the existence of the bank account. Even if the bank account earns interest, as a non resident alien this is non taxable income to you.


I am giving you a link below to a chart that shows the various types of income which are taxable to a non resident alien.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank you.,,id=96459,00.html


Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you