How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29644
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How much money are you allowed to make in a year before they

Customer Question

How much money are you allowed to make in a year before they deduct from your social security payments? I get about $1800 a month in social security each month and I am considering getting a job for supplemental income.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.
Are you filing tax return as single or married filing jointly?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm single and 65 yrs old.
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

If half of your SS benefits plus other taxable income is less than $25,000 - none of your SS is taxable,

- if more than $25,000 - part of SS income will be taxable - you would need to fill the worksheet to calculate the exact taxable amount. The maximum is 85% of your SS income.


Let me know if you need help with calculations.
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

In additional....

as you are below the full retirement age you may earn up to $13,560. If you earn above the limit - your SS payment will be reduced $1 for every $2 you earned over the limit.

For 2008, that limit is $13,560. For 2009, that limit will be $14,160.