How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marvin,EA Your Own Question
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1672
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Marvin,EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what kind of business am I if my corporate license has been

Customer Question

what kind of business am I if my corporate license has been revoked over 10 years ago?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 8 years ago.
Hello and thanks you for using Just Answer. Have you filed a federal and state corporation tax return for the last 10 years?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have not filed a return since 1999 and am not trying to get caught up
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 8 years ago.
If your corporate license have been revoked your business entity for state and federal income tax purposes will be a sole proprietorship.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what about my EIN number I have been told if it is a corp # XXXXX I am still a corporation
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 8 years ago.
Have you received any information about filing a tax return for your corporation from the IRS or New Mexico in the last ten years?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
just this year for 2005 and that is all
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 8 years ago.
My advice to you is to see a federally-authorized tax practitioner about responding to the IRS or the State of NM for tax year 2005. If you have not file a tax return in ten years responding to tax year 2005 might lead the IRS or State of NM to open other years tax returns were not filed. You can find a federally-authorized tax practitioner in your area at and clicking on "Find an enrolled Agent"
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
If I am wanting to get all my taxes caught up then should I start with the last year I filed and just see what kind of taxes and penalties I will owe and go from there? just get caught up and try to get my debt taken care of
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 8 years ago.

It is hard for anyone to know what the IRS will do with your situation not filing tax returns for the last ten years. Just because they ask you for information on your 2005 tax return does not mean they won't ask for your tax returns not filed. The IRS can have you file any unfiled tax returns. There are not statute of limitations on unfiled tax returns.