How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been audited for (1) Exemptions (2) Child and addl

Resolved Question:

I have been audited for (1) Exemptions (2) Child and add'l Tax Credit. I claimed my grandchildren ages 11,10, and 8. I have been claiming them since 1999. I am the sole provider for these children. My duaghter is the custodial of these kids and she does not work. the kids do not live with me permanently, only occasionally. What form(s) can i fill out to get out of this? and they are requesting proof of support unfortunately, I do not have any receipts but my an affidavit from my daughter notories. HELP
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

Please see here the complete definition of dependents -

As your daughter doesn't work - she is likely also your dependent.

Please see the Worksheet for Determining Support in the IRS publication 501 - page 18.

Simply print this page, fill the worksheet and provide it to the IRS agent.


You also need provide information that your daughter doesn't required to file a tax return - if that is true - children are not qualified children for tax purposes for your daughter. So - your daughter should provide a statement that she does not require to file a tax return.


You might need someone - local CPA or Enroll Agent - to represent you - the IRS agent will act differently if you have a qualified representation.


Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you