Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How can I get a copy of my w2 for 1998 and 1999

Customer Question
?...
How can I get a copy of my w2 for 1998 and 1999 ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
12/2/2008
Tax Professional: Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent replied 8 years ago
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Hello and thanks you for using Just Answer. You can get a copy of your 1998 and 1999 from the IRS at www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf . The fee will be $57 per return.

Let me explain. We have not filed our taxes for those 2 years. Severe illness and we are playing catch-up. These are the only 2 years that are remaining. Since there is no returns can I still get a copy of the w2's for 1999 & 1998?

Yes, you can still get a copy of your wage and earning statements (W-2, 1099, 1098) for tax years 1998 and 1999. To get a copy of your wage and earning statements go to www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf
Tax Professional: Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer replied 8 years ago
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer

Please accept on the other experts answer. I am providing this simply to clairfy your issue. The following is taken directly from the IRS website. Your experts information is correct.

Topic 159 - Prior Year(s) Form W-2 (How to Get a Copy of)

The IRS does not retain actual copies of Form W-2 (PDF) except as an attachment to your tax return, for prior years. However, the IRS maintains (and will provide free of charge) Form W-2 information for any purpose for the past ten processing years. Use Form 4506-T (PDF), Request for Transcript of Tax Return, to request Form W-2 information. The only way to get a copy of your Form W-2 from IRS is to order a copy of the entire return on Form 4506 (PDF), Request for Copy of Tax Return, and pay a fee of $57.00 per tax year.

"The Social Security Administration will provide the Number Holder (NH) or legal representative(s) at no charge with a microprint copy of the Form W-2 requested for purposes of resolving an SSA program related matter; e.g., resolving an earnings discrepancy in connection with the processing of a Title II and/or Title XVI claim or an SSA or NH initiated earnings investigation."

Call 1-800-829-3676, or visit the IRS web site at www.irs.gov to obtain Form 4506 (PDF), Request for Copy of Tax Return, or Form 4506-T (PDF), Request for Transcript of Tax Return.

Call 1-800-772-1213, or visit the SSA web site at http://www.irs.gov/app/scripts/exit.jsp?dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.socialsecurity.gov%2F for instructions on how to obtain wage information from the SSA.

Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer