Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I make 102,317 per year, I am single and rent in California.

Customer Question
My question is how much...
I make 102,317 per year, I am single and rent in California. My question is how much deductions do I need in donations suuch as clothing,appliances and cash donations to receive 6-7k in a tax refund ? My federal taxes are 15,400, my FICA is 6,200 my CA Income Tax is 5,900 and medicare is 1,500.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
12/1/2008
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 8 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

as you already have $15,400 federal income tax withheld and want $7000 to be refunded to you - your total federal income tax obligation should be $15,400 - $7000 = ~$8,400

That means - your taxable income should be $48,000 - assuming you do not have any tax credits.

To get to this point - your deductions should be $102,317 - $48,000 - $54,317,

from which $3500 - personal exemption and $50,817 - itemized deductions

itemized deductions include

-- CA Income Tax is $5,900

-- property taxes (on your car or any other property you own)

-- medical expenses (above 7.5% of AGI)

-- charitable contribution

-- job related and some other expenses (above 2% of AGI)

-- etc

From the information above you have CA Income Tax $5,900 - you need to come up with $50,817 - $5,900 = $44,917

would it seem out of the ordinary or normal for someone with my income claiming 44,000 in deductions such as charitable donations such as clothing,appliances, housewares and cash donations ?

Normally - people who itemize - use mortgage interest and real estate taxes as a largest part of itemize deduction.

There is a relatively small group of people who claim job related expenses (even some do not own the home) - that depends on the occupation.

The IRS closely watches charitable contribution deductions...

While - there is nothing wrong in taking legit deductions - that will definitely draw some attention.

You need to have a proof of deductions. See more details in the IRS Publication 526 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf

You may also need to be familiar with the Publication 561, Determining the Value of Donated Property - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p561.pdf

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor