Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

We adopted a little boy from Guatemala. The final adoption

Customer Question
decree is dated 09/26/2008. However...
We adopted a little boy from Guatemala. The final adoption decree is dated 09/26/2008. However, because of delays with getting a new birth certificate and his new passport plus the fact that we are having him brought home via the use of an escort, he may not actually be home in the USA with us until after the new year. We have been responsible for the cost of his care and medical needs since the end of September. We will be eligible to take advantage of the tax credit for the 2008 tax year because he IS our dependent and the adoption was finalized this year or will we have to wait until he is actually in the country with us?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
12/1/2008
Tax Professional: Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent replied 8 years ago
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Hello and thanks you for using Just Answer. If the foreign adoption is final you can take advantage of the tax credit for 2008. You will use Form 8839 ( www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8839.pdf ) to claim the credit for the expenses and exclusion
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent