How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to adust my federal withholding for the entire year

Resolved Question:

I want to adust my federal withholding for the entire year retroactively. I have not filed any returns yet. Can I adjust, with a negative withholding amount in the 4th quarter, or do I have to void and recalculate all pay checks to date. I do the payroll, so the steps are doable, I just need to know if I can legally do this?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

As an employer - you generally need to do withholding according to W-4 form provided by the employee.

Employees may change W-4 any time and it will be in effect from that point forward - but changes may not be made retroactively. Do not adjust withholding retroactively!


Employees may claim a refund on their tax returns.


Withholding errors made by an employer are to be corrected.

If you filed form 941 - - and discover an error on a

previously filed Form 941, make the correction using Form 941 for the quarter in which you discovered the error and attach Form 941c, Supporting Statement to Correct Information -


Lev and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you