Please do not call those people. You will not get an informed answer. The information I provided came directly from the SSA website. I gave you the link. It is really long and so may not work. So try this to satsify your own curiosity.
Please follow the instructions I gave. DO NOT call them, DO NOT go to them in person. Make them respond in writing. They do provide the service. The information persons you get are not fully aware, and your request requires extensive research and work and they will try to put you off in person. They are a typical government office.
Verify what I say is true.
1. Go to http://www.ssa.gov
2. in upper right hand corner notice the drop down box titled questions.
3. click on the drop down arrow. scroll to earnings and employment.
4. while on earnings and deployment click on go.
5. scroll to question 19: how do I get a copy of my W-2s from previous years.
6. note they say 30 dollars (sorry I quoted 26, I appologize).
7. note they say the IRS will give you the same W-2's, this is incorrect. The IRS by law destroys all tax records except for some very partial information after 10 years. The IRS will refer you back to the SSA.