How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

need tax returns from 1968 thru 1975 for social security -

Customer Question

need tax returns from 1968 thru 1975 for social security - how do I get copies
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 8 years ago.
Hello and thanks you for using Just Answer. If you know your employers you worked for from 1968 to 1975 they might have a copy of your W-2s. The IRS only keep tax records for 10 years. You can also check with Social Security Office for your records from 1968 to 1975. They might have copies of the W-2s.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Worked for County of LA - Parks & Recreation Dept during requested time period - unable to get W-2's from them - sent IRS Form 4506 unable to get info from them - need information to correct social security credits

Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.

Dear Daviss,


I have been asked to look at this question and provide some additional information.


The Form 4506T needs to be sent to the SS Administration.


Only the SSA can give you copies of W-2's older than 3 years.


Social Security Administration
Office of Central Operations,
Division of Earnings Records Operations
P.O. Box 33003
Baltimore, MDNNN-NN-NNNN

Include the following:

  • Your Social Security number;
  • The exact name shown on your Social Security card;
  • Any different names shown on your W-2;
  • Your complete mailing address;
  • The year(s) for which you need copies;
  • Your daytime telephone number; and
  • The reason for your request.


The IRS will not be able to help. You have to send it to the SSA.


There is a fee of about 26 dollars for each year. p;p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MzAsMzAmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PTEuOSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Called Social Security Office regarding W-2's - saw your information and asked representative - she was not helpful - suggested I contact employer at that time - County of Los Angeles for W2
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.

Dear Davisscott,


Please do not call those people. You will not get an informed answer. The information I provided came directly from the SSA website. I gave you the link. It is really long and so may not work. So try this to satsify your own curiosity.


Please follow the instructions I gave. DO NOT call them, DO NOT go to them in person. Make them respond in writing. They do provide the service. The information persons you get are not fully aware, and your request requires extensive research and work and they will try to put you off in person. They are a typical government office.


Verify what I say is true.


1. Go to

2. in upper right hand corner notice the drop down box titled questions.

3. click on the drop down arrow. scroll to earnings and employment.

4. while on earnings and deployment click on go.

5. scroll to question 19: how do I get a copy of my W-2s from previous years.

6. note they say 30 dollars (sorry I quoted 26, I appologize).

7. note they say the IRS will give you the same W-2's, this is incorrect. The IRS by law destroys all tax records except for some very partial information after 10 years. The IRS will refer you back to the SSA.