How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29782
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I have a question about business deductions. If a tax

Customer Question

Hello, I have a question about business deductions. If a taxpayer lives with her husband and children in City and works there. And if her emploeyr sends her to Metro on business for two days and one night each week and if Taxpayer is not reimbursed for her expenses, what may she deduct?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

Generally such deduction is allowed if she is traveling away from home.

Generally, taxpayer's your tax home is a regular place of business or post of duty, regardless of where he/she maintains the family home. It includes the entire city or general area in which he/she business or work is located.


If the person has more than one place of work, consider the following when determining which one is the main place of business or work.
-- The total time you ordinarily spend in each place.
-- The level of your business activity in each place.
-- Whether your income from each place is significant or insignificant.

So - assuming she has the regular place of business and she is traveling weekly to another business location - travel expenses are deductible.


Please see for reference the IRS publication 463 for details -

Let me know if you need any clarification.

Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok, but what if she works three days and spends two nights each week in Metro and also maintains an appartment there?
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

If she spends 3 days at her regular place of business and travels weekly to another business location where she spends 2 days - means she has the main place of work - and - travel expenses are deductible.


She may deduct lodging expenses if she travel overnight and per diem.

If she rents apartment for personal use - that expenses may not be deductible as business expenses.

If she rents for business purposes - and total rent expenses is less than if she were living in the hotel for two days - rent expenses generally are deductible as lodging.