Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Where can I get my lost Tax ID number?

The only way you can recover your lost TaxID, whether it is business or personal, is to contact the IRS at 800 – 829 – 1040 and to then select option one and option four. When you get a live agent, ask them to speak to someone about retrieving your lost Tax ID number.

After verifying your identification, they will send verification to the address on the account. They will not give it over the phone.

An alternative way is to find any tax communication you may have received from the IRS. Your Tax ID is part of the address code that appears over your name or the name of your business on the envelope or the top of the communication.

Also your Tax ID is part of the documentation of the following:

• Driver’s license (it may be on your driver's license)
  • Bank account
  • Leases and apartments
  • Loan documents
  • If a student it would be on student documents
  • If you are an F-1 student it will be on your form I-20
  • It may appear in some of your immigration paperwork if you are a non-resident.
Read full interaction below »

I have lost my tax identification number, how can I recover it?

11/11/2008
Tax Professional: Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer replied 9 years ago
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer

The only way you can recover your lost Tax ID, whether it is business or personal, is to contact the IRS at 800 – 829 – 1040 and to then select option one and option four. When you get a live agent, ask them to speak to someone about retrieving your lost Tax ID number.

• Bank account
  • Leases and apartments
  • Loan documents
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer