Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can a 17 year old file taxes?

Customer Question
Can a 17 year old...

Can a 17 year old file his own taxes if he works part time and is a minor if no one claims him?

Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
11/8/2008
Tax Professional: jgordosea, Enrolled Agent replied 9 years ago
jgordosea
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent

Greetings,

Indeed a 17 year old can and should file a return when income is above the filing requirement or to get a refund of taxes withheld when there is not any tax due.

Whether or not the minor can be claimed as a dependent does not change the fact that they may need or want to file a return.

Most 17 year olds that only work part time likely would be able to be claimed as a dependent.

Please note that the question is not if someone did claim him; but whether someone could claim him. See http://www.irs.gov/publications/p929/ar02.html#d0e1924

See Publication 929 (2007), Tax Rules for Children and Dependents for more complete information.

I hope this helps to understand that a 17 year old can (and often should) file an income tax return.

Best wishes.

jgordosea
jgordosea
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent