How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxMomNJ Your Own Question
TaxMomNJ, Senior Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 245
Experience:  7 years experience with tax preparation company, over 500 hours of tax courses taken
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxMomNJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do US citizens working outside of USA have to pay taxes to

Resolved Question:

Do US citizens working outside of USA have to pay taxes to the US government?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxMomNJ replied 8 years ago.

Hello, Monty. If you are working outside the US, you may be able to qualify for the foreign income exclusion.


You must meet two qualifications:

1. You must reside in a foreign country for an entire tax year or for at least 330 days during a 12-month period

2. Your salary must be paid by a company or agency in your country of residence or by a U.S. company operating in that country


The following income, received abroad does not qualify:

1. Pay received as a military or civilian employee of the U.S. Government or any of its agencies

2. Pay for services conducted in international waters (not a foreign country)

3. Pay in specific combat zones, as designated by an Executive Order from the President, that is excludable from income

4. Payments received after the end of the tax year following the year in which the services that earned the income were performed

5. The value of meals and lodging that are excluded from income because it was furnished for the convenience of the employer

6. Pension or annuity payments, including social security benefits


You can read the full IRS topic (Foreign Earned Income Exclusion) here:,,id=182017,00.html


I hope this has helped you.

TaxMomNJ and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you