Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Do US citizens working outside of USA have to pay taxes to

Customer Question
the US government?...
Do US citizens working outside of USA have to pay taxes to the US government?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
11/5/2008
Tax Professional: TaxMomNJ, Senior Tax Advisor replied 9 years ago
TaxMomNJ
TaxMomNJ, Senior Tax Advisor

Hello, Monty. If you are working outside the US, you may be able to qualify for the foreign income exclusion.

You must meet two qualifications:

1. You must reside in a foreign country for an entire tax year or for at least 330 days during a 12-month period

2. Your salary must be paid by a company or agency in your country of residence or by a U.S. company operating in that country

The following income, received abroad does not qualify:

1. Pay received as a military or civilian employee of the U.S. Government or any of its agencies

2. Pay for services conducted in international waters (not a foreign country)

3. Pay in specific combat zones, as designated by an Executive Order from the President, that is excludable from income

4. Payments received after the end of the tax year following the year in which the services that earned the income were performed

5. The value of meals and lodging that are excluded from income because it was furnished for the convenience of the employer

6. Pension or annuity payments, including social security benefits

You can read the full IRS topic (Foreign Earned Income Exclusion) here: http://www.irs.gov/businesses/article/0,,id=182017,00.html

I hope this has helped you.

TaxMomNJ
TaxMomNJ, Senior Tax Advisor
TaxMomNJ
TaxMomNJ
TaxMomNJ, Senior Tax Advisor