How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We adopted our grandaughter. At the time, we did not know who

This answer was rated:

We adopted our grandaughter. At the time, we did not know who her father was. He was later identified, tested, and very upset that he wasn't told he had a child. He is very interested in being a good father and has been supporting his daughter. She has been staying with us, finishing her senior year of high school, but plans to move to his state and attend college. Is there any legal way that we can allow him to claim her on his income tax this year? It would help establish in state tuition for her when she moves, and possibly help with financial aid.



There is a way for you to allow another to claim a child if both parties have paid for at least ten percent of the support of the child during the year by using Form 2120


If he does not pay for any of your granddaughter's support and you provide for all of her support, there is not a way to allow him to claim her on his tax return for the year.


So, if he can pay for at least 10% of her support you can use Form 2120. For more information see Multiple Support Agreement in Publication 501.


I hope this helps explain the tax rules that could allow for another to claim your granddaughter that lived with you (even though I can not guarantee that will be enough for her to claim residency for tuition after she moves).


Best wishes and bless you for caring for your grand daughter.






jgordosea and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you